PLACES TO MEET EN MASSE
1881: NO SUITABLE VENUE? LET’S USE THE SCHOOL …
The School itself served the purpose of a venue in the early days when there was a requirement for a gathering in the name of entertainment and/or fundraising. As there was nowhere else suitable at this time, the first reference to a choir performance fundraiser in 1881 was held at the school at which Mrs Petrie “presided at the organ with marked efficiency”.
10 December 1881 (Saturday)
The service of song “Eva” (correspondent informs us) was rendered on Tuesday evening last in the State school at North Pine, before a large and attentive audience. Mr T Petrie, JP, occupied the chair. Mrs Petrie presided at the organ with marked efficiency, and the choir throughout Rang with a delicacy of expression which could only have been attained by much attention and practice. The readings were given by Mr B T Gowdy with the utmost feeling, and the service was gone through without a jar. Votes of thanks having been awarded to the choir, Mr Gowdy, the chairman, and specially to Miss Petrie, to whom, as the trainer of the choir, much of the success must be attributed, the proceedings concluded. The audience were then asked to remain while tea and refreshments were served round, after which the National Anthem was sung, and a pleasant and profitable evening terminated.
Source: 1881 ‘Current News.’, The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld.: 1866 – 1939), 10 December, p. 741, viewed 13 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20711498
NORTH PINE SCHOOL OF ARTS HALL
1890: NORTH PINE SCHOOL OF ARTS HALL BUILT
The Following passage is from the North Pine Historical Society website (http://www.northpinehistorical.com.au/site-20/):
During the late 1880s, as the North Pine settlers strongly felt the need for a community meeting place, they set about constructing the building known to this day as the North Pine School of Arts. It was built on land purchased from Tom Petrie (Sub. 94, Portion 29) in 1889 and opened on 28 January 1890 with a gala official opening ceremony. The hall cost £1,000, including a semi-grand piano. The building was designed and supervised by a civil engineer, Charles Grierson, and the builders included John Bond, Fred Schwarz (who worked on the roofing and plumbing) and John McTaggart (who completed the painting and interior decoration).
North Pine School of Arts, 1906.
Moreton Bay Region Libraries (Strathpine Library) P0064
The hall, which is a fine example of School of Arts architecture of the late 19th century, quickly became the focal point of the North Pine community. Throughout the long period of its existence, it has been the venue for the major social and cultural activities of the district, having been used, amongst many other things, as a dance hall, concert hall, movie house, polling booth, local government office and library.
Source: North Pine Historical Society, P.O. Box 290, Petrie Qld 4502, http://www.northpinehistorical.com.au/site-20/
1896: BAD PUBLICITY FOLLOWING MESSY CONCERT
13 July 1896 (Monday)
HALL LEFT IN FILTHY STATE AFTER A STATE SCHOOL CONCERT
Redcliffe Divisional Board
The ordinary monthly meeting of title board was held at their office, North, Pine, on Friday. Present – Messrs J Duffield, (chairman), W Chisholm, W Cribb, J McCullagh, T Petrie, P Silcock, and E B Southerden, Jnr. Amongst the correspondence read were letters to the secretary of the School of Arts, complaining of filthy and disordered state in which the platform of the hall was found after State school entertainment, and informing him that cost of clearing same to admit of office work proceeding would be deducted from rent.
Source: 1896 ‘REDCLIFFE DIVISIONAL BOARD.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld.: 1864 – 1933), 13 July, p. 2, viewed 13 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3630077
1908: BREAKING-UP FESTIVITIES AT THE SCHOOL OF ARTS HALL
18 December 1908 (Friday)
The breaking-up festivities and prize distribution in connection with the local State School were held on Friday evening in the School of Arts Hall. The building was packed to overflowing. The chief items were Highland dances by the Rankin family, comic selection by Mr McGladrigan, songs by Mrs Hunter, Miss Walrus, Messrs Baker and Best. Miss Bright made an efficient accompanist. The prizes were presented by Mr T N Bray (a member of the committee). Votes of thanks to the chairman, cheers for the head master (Mr R D Hunter), the teachers, the committee, and the performers closed an enjoyable gathering.
Source: 1908 ‘NORTH PINE STATE SCHOOL.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld.: 1864 – 1933), 18 December, p. 6, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19554877
1909: SANTA COMES TO THE HALL
2 December 1909 (Thursday)
North Pine, December 1
A concert, distribution of prizes, and Christmas tree was given in connection with the breaking up festivities at the NorthPine State School on Saturday evening. There was a record attendance, from 380 to 400 people being present, including Mr J Forsyth, M.L.A., and Mr T Petrie. The hall was tastefully decorated with greenery, and there was a large Christmas Tree loaded with toys and lighted with sparklets. Mr T N Bray made an excellent Father Christmas, and he was driven on to the stage in a goat cart beautifully decorated by two of the elder scholars. The programme consisted of songs by Miss Seal, Mrs Hunter, Mrs Hirst, Messrs Crisp, Baker, and Parker, and Highland Dances by the Rankin family. Miss Down acted as accompanist. Mr Forsyth distributed some 50 prizes for general proficiency and gardening, and then followed the distribution of toys by Father Christmas. The members of the committee who assisted, included Messrs Bray, W Leis, Houghton, Ebert, and Baldwin. Subsequently a dance was held, the music being played by Mrs Hunter and Miss Seal. Mr Connors carried out the arrangements for dancing.
Source: 1909 ‘GRAFTON DISTRICT.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 2 December, p. 2, viewed 13 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19609757
1911: CHRISTMAS MIXED WITH SOCIAL CONSCIENCE
11 December 1911 (Monday)
NORTH PINE STATE SCHOOL
A successful entertainment by the North Pine State School children, followed by the distribution of prizes and a Christmas tree, was held in the local School of Arts on Friday night (writes our North Pine correspondent) Mr James Forsyth, M.L A., who was accompanied by Mrs Forsyth, occupied the chair, and the hall was crowded. The bright entertainment commenced with a recitation, “Our School Greets You”, by nine boys. Then followed action songs and recitations by lands of boys and girls. A musical sketch by Master Nock, and six boys was very amusing, and “Tom’s Practical Joke”, by Master Houghton and Misses Lear and Baldwin was loudly applauded. The song, “The Soldier and His Child”, by Mrs Hunter and Miss Baldwin, was much enjoyed. “The Suffragettes”, by Miss Rowe and a party of girls, created much amusement. All the children acquitted themselves well, and the entertainment reflected credit on Mr and Mrs Hunter and Miss Rowe. During the evening a presentation of a silver tea service was made to Mr Hunter (head master). The prizes were distributed by Mr Forsyth, who had a few words to each recipient. Two Christmas trees were laden with toys. Mr Bray acted as “Father Christmas”, and distributed the gifts. Handsome prizes were donated by Mr and Mrs Forsyth, Mrs Petrie, and Mr Eaves. Those present included Mrs and the Misses Petrie (2), Mrs and Miss Pinnock, Mrs and the Misses Joyner (2), Mrs Highfield, Mrs and Miss O’Loan, Mr, Mrs, and the Miss Stacey (3), Mrs Mackenzie (2), Mr and Mrs Bulgin, Mrs Dorsay, Mr and Mrs W Leis, Mr and Mrs Saunders, Miss and Mr Saunders, Mr and Mrs Baldwin, Mr and Mrs Connors, Mr and Mrs Bray, Mr and Mrs Young, Mr and Mrs Lear, Mr and Mrs Osborne, Miss Osborne, Miss Gee, Miss Eldred, Miss Winnie Hunter, Mr and Mrs Walters, Mr C Bright, Mrs Armstrong, Miss Armstrong, Miss Rowe, Misses Armstrong (2), Mr, Mrs, and Miss Taylor, Mrs and Miss Thomas, Mrs Barbour, Mr and Mrs Bennett and family, Mr and Mrs Ebert, Rev and Mrs Whitehouse, Rev T and Mrs Nock, Misses Nock (2), Mr and Mrs Campbell, Mrs and the Misses Patterson, Mr and Mrs Gudopp, Master and Miss Holmes, Mr and Mrs Davis, Mr and Mrs Robinson and family, Mr and Mrs Macpherson, Mr and Mrs Hawkins and family, Mr and Mrs S J Johnson and family, Mrs and Miss Cullimore, Mr and Mrs Mactaggart, Mrs and Miss McMullin, Mr and Mrs Brass, Mr and Mrs King, Mr and Mrs Fryar, Mr and Mrs Houghton, Mr and Mrs Brewer, Mr and Mrs Casey, Mrs Coulthard, Mr and Mrs Allom, Messrs 0 and G Tanner, Mr and Mrs Carson (2), Mr and Miss Raymont, Mr Macartney, Mr and Mrs Street, Mr R Leis, Mr C Leis, Mr T Leis, Misses Leis (3), Messrs Norman and Eric Wyllie, White (2), Mr and Mrs Skinner, Mr and Mrs Slater, Mr and Mrs Sargeant, Mr and Mrs Geiss, and Mr and Mrs Clay.
Source: 1911 ‘NORTH PINE STATE SCHOOL.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 11 December, p. 9, viewed 13 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19724976
1912: STORMY CHRISTMAS CONCERT STILL PULLS A CROWD
28 November 1912 (Thursday)
The annual concert, Christmas tree, and distribution of prizes in connection with the North Pine State School was held in the School of Arts Hall on Saturday night, and notwithstanding the severe storm the attendance was a record (writes our North Pine correspondent) Mr and Mrs R D Hunter were responsible for the excellent arrangements. The programme, which consisted of action songs, dialogues, comic sketches, physical drill, and nigger comicalities, was splendidly carried out by the children, and reflected great credit on their teachers. The prizes were distributed by Mr Jas Forsyth, M L A, who was accompanied by Mrs Forsyth Little Gladys Hunter, a wee tot of 4 summers, presented Mrs Forsyth with a beautiful shower bouquet. On the motion of Mr Connors (chairman of committee), Mr and Mrs Forsyth, was accorded a hearty vote of thanks. Mr T N Bray made an excellent Father Christmas, Miss McMullen supplied soft drinks and sandwiches for the performers. The takings amounted to 20 pounds. Also present included Mr and Mrs Jas Forsyth, Mr and Mrs R D Hunter, Mrs Petrie Misses Petrie (2) Mr and Mrs Walter Petrie, Miss Winnie Hunter, Miss Edgar, Mrs Thomas, Mr Ted Thomas, Mrs Ramsbotham, Mr and Mrs Robertson, Mr and Mrs Bellamy, Mr and Mrs W Leis, Mr and Mrs Bray, Mr and Mrs J Young, Mr and Mrs Connors, Mr and Mrs Osborne, Misses Osborne (2), Mr Lear, Mrs Baldwin, Mr Wyllie, Misses Wyllie (2), Mrs and Miss Bulgin Mrs Moles and family, Mr and Mrs Walters, Mr and Mrs Bunbury, Mr French, Mrs Patterson, Misses Patterson (2), Mr and Mrs O Leis, Mr and Mrs F Brewer, Mr and Mrs J Brewer, Mr and Mrs J Gilliland, Mrs Kebler, Mr and Mrs Herman, Mr Giess, Mr and Mrs Houghton, Mrs and Miss McTaggart, Mrs Hallam, Mrs Coulthard, Mr and Mrs Barbour, Mrs Twible, Mr Skerman, Mr Gold, Mr Riley, the members of the Boy Scouts, Mr Davis, Mr Gilbey, Mr and Mrs MacPherson, Misses Campbell (3), Misses Boardman, Mr and Miss Locke, Mr and Miss McMullen, Mrs and Miss Bickle, Mr and Mrs L Ebert, Mr and Mrs S Walker, Mr and Mrs F Walker, Misses Holmes (2), Mr W Holmes, Mr and Mrs W Gordon, Miss S Stacey, Miss J Fuller, Mr Salisbury, Mr Ted Gordon, Mrs Casey, Mr and Mrs Boardman, Mr and Mrs Skinner, Mr and Mrs Sheehan, Mr D Sheehan, Mrs Buhmann, Misses Gilliland (2), Misses Cullimore (2), Mr and Mrs Sanders, Mr W and Miss G Sanders, Mrs and Miss Kerr, Messrs White (2), Campbell (2), Le Geshener, R Leis, T Leis, Mr and Mrs J Stultz and many others.
Source: 1912 ‘SOCIAL.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 28 November, p. 7, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19833974
1915: CONCERT FUNDRAISING FOR THE ‘BELGIAN FUND’
5 May 1915 (Wednesday)
BELGIAN FUND CONCERT
A very successful concert was given by the children of the North Pine State school on Friday afternoon in aid of the “Courier” Belgian Fund. Notwithstanding the fact of a wet evening the School of Arts Hall was filled to overflowing, and the results are expected to reach between 80 pounds and 90 pounds. This will mean that with a previous concert given by this school the results will amount to 150 pounds, for which all responsible must be complimented. The children were trained by Mr and Mrs R D Hunter, and the committee who assisted them in working hard for the success included Mr and Mrs Affleck, Mrs, Mr and the Misses Gordon, Mrs Williams, Mrs Bray, Misses Petrie (3), Mrs Allen, Misses Elder, Costello, Gill, Holmes, and Mr Connors. Mr Gold worked the limelight effects. The accompaniments were effectively played by Mrs Hunter and Miss Nettle Tait, and the dance music by Miss Maggie Campbell. The programmes were unique, being bordered with the Belgian colours. The first item, a prologue, was by Master H Carstens. Two beautiful tableaux were given, the first — “We’ll Fight for Our Australia”, by the school children; the second, “The Field of Glory’ (Belgium), by Misses Nell Williams, Gladys Hunter, and Doris Baldwin. A dying soldier (Lang Armour) was shown, while Nell Williams, as an angel held over him a laurel wreath and the two little girls, Gladys Hunter and Doris Baldwin, dressed as angels, hovered round him. “Tipperary” was sung by a group of school children in green skirts and red blouses. Other successful items by the school children included an action song, “The Gleaners”, “Joe, the Railway Porter”, “Joe” being taken by Master J Boyland, “It’s no Joke to be a Baby’ – the little boys class, “The Little Witches”, little girls class, “This Part of the World Belongs to Us”, Kazoo band. The tea party in character was amusingly given by Misses L Taylor, D Bickle, E Jones, S Davis, G Hunter. Other successful items contributed by the pupils and several friends from town included recitations by Master F Skinner (“Kitchener’s Recruits”), Mr R Carson (“How Belgium put the Kybosh on “the Kaiser”), Masters T Petrie, T Twible, F Jones, D Collins, J Brewer, J Casey, F Schwartz (“When I’m a Man”), duet by Messrs J Skerman and F McLennan, comic songs by Mr W F Kenny, songs by Mrs, R D Hunter, Mr J D Abraham, Mr J Skerman, song and tableau, Mr F McLennan (“Australia’s Call to Arms”), song and tableau (“Britannia’s School”), Mrs R D Hunter, Miss D Taylor (Britannia). Miss N Williams (England), Miss B Holmes (Scotland), Miss Alice Leis (Ireland), a musical monologue by Miss Keid, and a Spanish dance in costume by Mrs Morton. Two little girls, Misses M Baldwin and Gladys Hunter, sang “Tho Absent Minded Beggar” and secured a satisfactory response in coins. Cheers were given for the King at the conclusion of the concert, followed by cheers for Mr and Mrs Hunter. The audience joined in singing the National Anthem.
Source: 1915 ‘BELGIAN FUND CONCERT.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 5 May, p. 10, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20051512
1928: EURHYTHMICS THE NOTABLE FEATURE
10 December 1928 (Monday)
School Concert – The pupils of the North Pine State School gave an enjoyable concert in the School of Arts on December 7, a display of eurhythmics by the senior girls being a noticeable feature. Mr W H Chappell, in presenting china ornaments to Misses Wadley and Gee, on behalf of the pupils, referred to their efforts in training the children. Songs were rendered by Misses E Baldwin and J Taylor, Miss Madge Baldwin playing the accompaniments. Dance music was supplied by Misses Norah and Carrie Bernier, competitions being won by Mrs R Brodribb and Mr F Herman.
Source: 1928 ‘PETRIE.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 10 December, p. 15, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21361252
1931: THE FAMOUS FANCY DRESS BALL BEGINS
21 September 1931 (Monday)
FANCY DRESS BALL
In aid of the funds of the Petrie State School a successful fancy dress dance ball was held In the North Pine School of Arts on Friday night. The Mayor and Mayoress of Redcliffe (Alderman and Mrs A H Langdon), who judged the fancy costumes, were accompanied by Mr A. Stapleton (head master Redcliffe State School) and Mrs Stapleton and Mrs T B Hopkins (Brisbane) and were welcomed by Mr George Armstrong (chairman of the Petrie State School committee. ) A bouquet was presented to the Mayoress by little Miss Jill Buckby. The arrangements for the dance were carried out by a ladies’ committee comprising Mesdames W. J. Baldwin, F. Brewer, R Paterson, S. R. Young, A. Skinner, A. E. Buckby, Misses E. L. Hawkins, M. Quirk, A. Skinner, M. Baldwin, Madge Chappell (secretary). The grand march was supervised by Mr A. Dixon. Prize-winning fancy costumes were as follows – Best fancy costume, girl, Nancy Vores (Powder and Patches); best fancy costume, boy, Eric Twible (Golliwog); best couple senior, Thelma and Joyce Skinner (Irish Gentleman and Colleen;) best pair, junior Bill and Peggy Buckby (Bridegroom and Bride); most original costume, Jim Senyard (Australia England Air Mail); paper costume, Sylvia Herman (Early Victorian). Special prizes: Best boy, John Senyard (Toy Soldier); best girl, Valerie Skinner (Fairy); couple J. Quinn and Miss M. Quinn (Dad and Mum).
Source: 1931 ‘FANCY DRESS BALL.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 21 September, p. 17, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21733077
1932–1934: KEEN ENJOYMENT AT THE FANCY DRESS
4 October 1932 (Tuesday)
NORTH PINE SCHOOL BALL
Keen enjoyment was experienced by many young folk who attended the annual fancy dress ball of the North Pine State School, held in the Petrie School of Arts on Saturday night. The hall was tastefully decorated with streamers in pastel shades, while gum tips and red wattle sprays added to the effect. Costumes were judged by the Mayor of Redcliffe (Alderman A. H. Langdon), who was assisted by Mrs Langdon. Included In the official party were Dr and Mrs W. B. Roberts (Redcliffe), and Mr Frank Atthow (Brisbane). Bouquets were presented to Mrs Langdon by little Jill Buckby and Valerie Skinner. Prizes were awarded to Edna Gilliland (militaire), B. Taylor (black and white). Valerie Skinner, and Jill Buckby (Blue Courtiers), Cliff Ebert (Coon), Jack Cook (Chef), Sylvia Herman (Early Victorian), R. Ebert (Minties), Audrey Nott (French student), B. Foley (Indian Chief), Audrey Hornibrook (Dewdrop Fairy); best adult fancy costume, Mr H. Warburton.
Source: 1932 ‘NORTH PINE SCHOOL BALL.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 – 1933), 4 October, p. 19, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22024942
1933: BEAUTIFUL PHOTO PRESERVES THIS EVENT
3 October 1933 (Tuesday)
NORTH PINE STATE SCHOOL
The annual plain and fancy dress, ball of the North Pine State School was held in the School of Arts, Petrie, on Saturday. The grand march was supervised by Miss E L Hawkins, assisted by Misses M Quirk, Alice Skinner, and M Brewer, Mr G F R Nicklin, M.L.A., and Mrs Nicklin Judged the costumes, the prizes being presented by Mr A D Hansen. The arrangements for the entertainment were carried out by a committee comprising Mrs A D Hansen (president), Miss E L Hawkins (honorary secretary). Mesdames W J Baldwin, Q White, O H Taylor, A E Buckley, H Dixon, A Skinner, J Skinner, J B Young, R Patterson. R Allsopp, P Houghton, J Mullins, R King, N M Cooke, H Stewart and Cherrie. Mrs A E Buckley provided the music, and Mr J R Young supervised the proceedings.
The prizes were awarded as follow: Girls, over 10 years: Joyce Skinner (Early Victorian). Boys: P Mullins (Herald). Girls, under 10: P Buckby (Early Victorian). Boys: Maurice Herman (Golliwog). Poster girls: Sylvia Herman (Whisky). Boys: V Herman (My Favourite Drink). Open, girls: Elspeth Afflick [sic] (Queen Elizabeth). Best pair, girls: M and G White (Spanish Couple). Boys: Colin and B Stewart (Gin). Under school age, girls: Audrey Hornibrook (Little Bo-peep). Boys: B Buckby (Soldier). Most original: J Houghton (Body Line Bowling).
Source: 1933 ‘CHILDREN’S BALL.’, The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933 – 1954), 3 October, p. 20, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1125976
1934: PROCEEDS OF DANCE IN AID OF THE SCHOOL FUNDS
16 October 1934 (Tuesday)
SCHOOL FANCY DRESS DANCE
The North Pine School of Arts, Petrie was thronged on Saturday night, when the annual children’s fancy dress dance of the North Pine State School was held. Mrs A. E. Buckby played the music for the grand march, which was supervised by Miss E. L. Hawkins, assisted by Mesdames P. Houghton, R. Patterson, D. Webster, I. Skinner, and Miss Mary Quirk. Mr J. R. Young had charge of the dancing, and the fancy costumes were judged by Mr and Mrs W. A. Buchanan, and Miss Reid. The proceeds of the dance were in aid of the school funds. The following were awarded prizes: W. Taylor, Colin Houghton, Jill Buckby, Daphne and Eunice Ferriday, Cliff Ebert, Peggy Buckby, Beryl Allsopp, Audrey Young, Keith Fink, Joyce Hans, Berenice Brewer, Maureen Heart, and J. Brewer.
Source: 1934 ‘SCHOOL FANCY DRESS DANCE.’, The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933 – 1954), 16 October, p. 19, viewed 14 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article35624724
1950s (Mid): ARTS HALL STILL THE EPICENTRE IN THE 1950s
16 December 2008 (Tuesday)
North Pine School of Arts – a social gathering place
The North Pine State School, now Petrie, used the hall for their annual fancy dress ball. Music was provided by the Dickfoss band and later the Scriven band in the mid-1950s. Mrs Gladys Kretschmann remembers dressing up as the princes in the “Little Nut Tree” one year and as a Scottish lass another year.
School concerts, which included singing and reciting, gave the children confidence – they were told to speak louder if the audience couldn’t hear.
Source: 2008 ‘North Pine School of Arts – a social gathering place’, The Westerner, 16 December 2008, viewed 3 January, 2014, http://www.thewesterner.com.au/pages/blogs.aspx?ID=2369
1955-1963 (ca.): LEARNING TO DANCE WITH BOYS AT THE ARTS HALL
“Mr Robinson also introduced us to dance and once a week we would trudge down to the School of Arts Hall to learn to waltz etc. It was an unsettling experience being held in the arms of the boys that we had spent all our school days fighting with.”
– Joyce Wagner (nee Cairns), 1999 – Past Student, Petrie State School, 1955 – 1963
Source: Commemorating 125 Years of Service: Petrie State School 1874-1999, pp28-30.
THE PETRIE RSL HALL
As time went by other halls were added to the mix for entertainment venues. During the school’s week long Centenary anniversary celebrations in 1974 the RSL Hall in Petrie was utilised for a variety concert on one night, and a costume ball another night.
24 September 1974
“Early pupils of the School presented a variety concert in the RSL Hall, Petrie, on this Tuesday night as entertainment for the centenary celebrations.”
Source: Moreton Bay Regional Council Local History Library
26 September 1974
For centenary week, a costume ball took place in the RSL Hall, Petrie, on this Thursday night.
Photo Caption: Petrie school pupils in 1910. All the names of pupils in the picture are not known but some are Violet Leis, Ellen Ebert, John Bray, Mable Skinner, Eric Baldwin, Cyril Lear, Harold Carstens, Gladys Hunter, Frank Skinner, Billy Bray, Billy Geiss, Doris Twible, Hilda Gilliland, Hilly Leis, Edna Jones and Myra Bress.
Source: Moreton Bay Regional Council Local History Library
THE ACTIVITIES HALL
1974: PARENTS AND CITIZENS BUILD THE ACTIVITIES HALL
Around 1970 an investigation was made into the most pressing needs for school activities and following this investigation the Parents and Citizens Association (P&C) voted on a motion for the building of an Activities Hall.
Due to evolution in teaching methods and the activities the children were undertaking, at this time there was not existing suitable space for group activities such as play acting, dancing, singing, art and craft work, television and slide movie viewing. Also, it was considered that there was no suitable protection for the children when not in classes during the adverse weather.
The cost was originally estimated to be $20 000 and initial efforts were spent to raise the finance for the project.
In 1972 construction of a 21ft x 24ft classroom and yet another new staff room was completed in the south-eastern wing.
In early 1973 the P&C commissioned architect Mr Rob Akers (MLA, Member for Pine Rivers), to design and draft plans for the hall and “many problems were encountered in settling on a final plan and design”. The P&C were also able to obtain a dollar for dollar subsidy on the project and with the architect kindly donating back to the P&C half of the total fee, the services rendered were thus free to the school.
On the 3rd of July 1974 tenders were closed and the amount settled on was $36 000 and was won by Petrie builder Mr Wallace McIntosh who was appreciated “for the unselfish part he is playing in this project”.
The Works Department gave approval for the project to proceed and the building program was under the direction of the “energetic and capable” Mr Pat Norris who was credited with skills that saved the project many thousands of dollars and resulted in the promise of a “better than anticipated building”.
By September 1974, the school was reportedly 11 acres with 7 classrooms, an office, staff room, health room, library, and store rooms. This image shows Principal E E Powell and students standing in the excavated site where the Activities Hall was built.
The activities centre was completed possibly in late 1975 and was officially opened on 28th February 1976 in an official ceremony where a plaque was unveiled by Mr Robert Stanley Griffiths (past President of the P&C from 1969-1975), Mr V J Bird (Minister for Education and Cultural Activities) and Mr R G Akers (MLA, Member for Pine Rivers and the original architect of the project).
The Activities Hall was mainly built by the voluntary labour of members of the P&C and the fathers of Petrie State School students, under the guidance of professionals.
The success of the venture was still awed a number of years later in 1982 in what was to become the very first Prospectus, or Parent Guide as it was called. Local history icon and former school groundsman, Merv Ewart, recounts:
“1976 saw the opening of the Activities Centre. This fine effort by the Parents and Citizens Association with subsidy from the Department is an asset which is in use daily in connection with various school programs.”
– Merv Ewart, 1982 Petrie State School Parent Guide, From the Collection of Jean Charters.
“Because my daughter, Katrina, was due to start school in 1976 I decided to go up to the local school for the opening of their new hall. I remember hearing about how the parents of the Parents & Citizens Association had actually built the hall themselves under the guidance of various professional craftsmen, and I must admit my first thought was – “Wasn’t I lucky to have missed out on that!” Thanks to all those who worked so hard on that project.”
– Brian Andrews, 1999 – Past Petrie Parent; Member, Parents & Citizens Association; and former Janitor/Grounds-person, 1986 – Dec 1999.
1980s-1990s: SPACE IS AN ISSUE AGAIN AS THE SCHOOL GROWS
The Activities Hall was still serving the school community as a hall but it was known to be small and have loud acoustics when there was a gathering where there might be many screaming children, such as the school Discos that were held there often. There was no capacity for large amounts of people to sit comfortably and on parent information nights or instrumental music concerts the crowd would often spill out the door.
It is likely this very reason that we begin to see other various halls that were much larger and more accommodating being utilised for the big concert events, which were valuable to the community as a major fundraising event.
ASPLEY STATE HIGH SCHOOL HALL
1985: SCHOOL CONCERT PROGRAM
1987: 11 NOVEMBER – SCHOOL CONCERT PROGRAM
1989: 13TH DECEMBER – SCHOOL CONCERT PROGRAM
1989: “Concert at Aspley SHS for Instrumental Music Program.”
– Peter J Boge, 1999 – Principal, 1 Jan 1983 – 31 Dec 1990.
Source: Commemorating 125 Years of Service: Petrie State School 1874-1999, pp46-49.
1989: 17 AUGUST – PETRIE LOG 89/14
CONCERTS: 15.12.1989 School Concert held at Aspley State High School.
QUT CARSELDINE THEATRE
1991: “School Concert QUT – Carseldine Campus Theatre – Dec 10th.”
– David Stephenson, 1999 – Principal, 1 Jan 1991 – 2007
Source: Commemorating 125 Years of Service: Petrie State School 1874-1999, pp50-53.
ACTIVITIES HALL GETS AN EXTERNAL FACELIFT
1991: 31 OCTOBER – PETRIE LOG 91/19
BUILDINGS: … Activities Hall also received an external ‘facelift’.
QUESTION. WHY CAN’T WE GET ANOTHER HALL?
Some questions were being asked about how Petrie State School might upgrade to a hall more suitable to the modern enrolment capacity of the school.
This was raised in State Parliament question time by the sitting member for the Kurwongbah electorate at the time, Mrs Linda Lavarch.
The issue was that Petrie had already received Government funding under the only existing Government scheme available to schools for expansion at the time to build the Activities Hall in 1974. Although Petrie’s school population had expanded it was still ineligible as it had already received this funding previously.
1997: PETRIE HALL QUESTION RAISED IN STATE PARLIAMENT
9 JULY 1997
QUESTION ON NOTICE #735-
Petrie State School
MRS LAVARCH asked the Minister for Education (9/7/97) –
With reference to the urgent need for the expansion of hall facilities as Petrie State School, will he advise why a school is only eligible to receive a hall subsidy once, even though it was made 21 years ago and the school population is now 5 times greater than the present hall seating arrangements?
Mr Quinn (12/8/97): Education Queensland operates a subsidy funding scheme which assists state school parents and citizens associations to undertake a specific range of project on school sites.
Assistance is provided through the School Improvement Assistance Scheme (SIAS) by way of a dollar for dollar subsidy for funds generated by a dollar for dollar subsidy for funds generated by a parents and citizens association. This subsidy is available for eligible projects as state pre, primary, secondary, special and distance education schools.
School halls are among the list of eligible projects under the subsidy scheme.
Governments have limited resources and no scheme, including the School Improvement Assistance Scheme administered by Education Queensland, can provide unlimited funding.
To ensure the restricted funds are available for distribution to as many schools as possible it is essential that maximum limits of subsidy assistance are applied to each category of eligible project and further, that access to subsidy funds for major projects such as school halls and swimming pool complexes is limited to a once only occasion per school.
The 1997/98 SIAS subsidy program includes approximately ten hall projects. It would be considered inappropriate to allocate the limited funding towards the upgrade of an existing school hall to the detriment of a school endeavouring to achieve construction of its first hall.
The Petrie State School Parents and Citizens Association received the maximum subsidy limit, applicable at the time, towards its school hall project and would therefore be ineligible for further subsidy assistance for works associated with the existing building or towards a new hall complex.
Source: Queensland Parliamentary Papers, Questions on Notice #735, 9 July 1997, Petrie State School, http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/tabled-papers/online-tabled-papers, accessed 28 December 2013.
BIGGER BETTER BESTEST … FEDERAL FUNDING GRANTS SCHOOL A NEW DOMAIN
The first decade of the millennium saw new education milestones being set by state and federal politics, in response also to the economic times, grants were offered to fund schools for any major new infrastructure that they could prove was required.
Petrie State School applied and received enough money for the construction of a modern new Resource Centre and a new Multi-Purpose Hall, in total over three million dollars was invested in modernising these facilities during 2010 with construction completed in 2011.
The Resource Centre was built with technology in focus, the likes of which had not been seen at the school to date. It is large and spacious with offices and its own amenities. It has a media room, electronic whiteboards and classroom spaces. There are also conference rooms and of course, lots and lots of books.
The Multi-Purpose Hall, which is still barely large enough for end of year assembly, staff and parents, is possibly double or more the size of the Activities Hall with its own amenities and a canteen.
This improvement was raised in Queensland Parliament by the local Member in 2010, there was also funding received for refurbishment of four teaching spaces:
2010: HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY THAT WOULD COST?
24 NOVEMBER 2010
QUESTIONS ON NOTICE #2304
Ms O’Neill asked the Minister for Education and Training (Mr Wilson) –
Will the Minister outline all capital works, including both new building and refurbishments planned for schools (State, Independent and Catholic) in the Kallangur Electorate?
I thank the Member for her question.
The Department of Education and Training have advised that the following state schools in the Kallangur Electorate have received funding for projects that have not yet reached completion.
Petrie State School has received $3 000 000 in BER funding towards the construction of a resource centre and multi-purpose hall. The funding for the resource centre and multi-purpose hall is $1 392 454 and $1 607 546 respectively. The school has also received funding of $565 477 under the SSOT Program for major refurbishment of four general Learning Areas. The SSOT works are currently under construction and are expected to be complete in mid-December 2010. Work on the BER projects are underway with the new resource centre forecast for completion 31 March 2011 with work on the new multipurpose hall scheduled for completion 31 January 2011.
In addition to the funding allocated for capital works and infrastructure projects, schools are also allocated grant outlays for the day to day running of the school (base grant), maintenance allocations, as well as any program specific allocations in any particular year including ICT related grants.
Grant outlays can vary due to enrolment fluctuations and program variations, and a final figure for the 2010-11 year cannot be provided at this stage.
Source: Queensland Parliamentary Papers, Questions on Notice #2304, 24 November 2010, http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/tabled-papers/online-tabled-papers, accessed 28 December 2013.